Collecting Collections: Vintage Playing Cards

    Contributor post by Lisa Congdon


    As someone who collects alot of stuff, I am often asked what “new” favorite collection I have. Andit just so happens that I have a new passion right now: vintage playing cards.Some of my current favorites in my collection are pictured above. 



    Unlike many collectors of vintage playing cards, I’m lessinterested in acquiring a full, complete deck. Instead, I’m happy to find justone single card! In fact, I love finding lone, abandoned cards that I can addto my collection of misfit vintage playing cards (not that I won’t take acomplete deck when I can find one at the right price!).

    I am drawn to playing cards for many reasons: the beautifulartwork, the worn, vintage look, the typography, the odd sizes. It turns out Iam not the only one who loves vintage playing cards! There is even a websitecalled Antique Playing Card Source!

    This image from{frolic!}


    I am mostly drawn to really old playing cards (pre-1930),but I also love decks from the mid-century, like this modern deck via Words& Eggs:


    Interested in collecting vintage playing cards? I like thisinformative little article by Collector’s Weekly for more information. 


    I’m off to hunt more vintage playing cards. What is your latest collecting obsession?


    ........................................................................
    Lisa Congdon
    Artist, illustrator
    Author, A Collection a Day
    Website: www.lisacongdon.com
    Blog: www.lisacongdon.com/blog
    A Collection a Day: www.collectionaday.com
    Twitter: http://twitter.com/lisacongdon

Post Title

Collecting Collections: Vintage Playing Cards


Post URL

http://charlotte-lifesaboutthejourney.blogspot.com/2011/10/collecting-collections-vintage-playing.html


Visit Charlotte Lifes About The Journey for Daily Updated Wedding Dresses Collection

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive